One simple exercise that you can engage in to lose excess weight is walking.
Everyone knows this for a fact but not everyone knows that by simply walking regularly you can shed about 1 pound in seven days and 20 pounds in only 5 months.
By walking you will also tone your muscles and improve your overall health.
However, walking just like any other exercise has a technique that you have to apply in order to get the best out of it.
Your pace of walking and body weight will determine the amount of calories that you can burn at any given point in time.
A typical example is – by walking at a pace of 4 miles per hour you will burn out about 400 calories.
Walking With A Pedometer
A pedometer is a device that can be used to monitor your walking pace and as a result you will be able to know how much calories you are burning each time you go for a walk because the pedometer will measure your pace walked per time and it can be worn like a wristwatch.
Here’s a brief explanation of the correlation between distance covered and calories burnt.
- For a distance of 1 Mile walked about 2,000 steps are taken and 100 calories burnt in the process.
- 1 pound of weight is equivalent to 3,500 calories.
- If you lose 1 pound of body weight in a week it is equivalent to 500 calories burnt daily.
- By taking 10,000 steps a day you will lose 1 pound within a week.
However, it is advisable that when engaging in walking exercises you need to first start walking with a moderate number of steps and then later increase your steps as you get used to walking.
How To Engage In Walking Frequently
- Walk to work especially if your place of work is not too far from your home.
- Park your car at a walking distance to your place of work and walk the remainder of the journey to work.
- Don’t make use of an elevator at work, use the stairway.
How To Get The Best Out Of Your Walking Exercise
- Try to walk with a family member or friend.
- Listen to music when you walk, it will keep you relaxed.
- Walk in different locations as often as possible to make your walk interest.
- Get a treadmill so you can walk at home especially during winter when it’s cold outside.
Walking Techniques And Tips To Help You Maximise The Exercise
- Consult your doctor to ensure that you are healthy enough to engage in this exercise.
- When walking keep your chin up and look straight ahead of you, try and tighten your abdomen slightly as well as your glutes.
- Try and walk outdoors thrice a week and for a duration of 20 minutes for starters.
- Eventually as you get used to walking outdoors, increase your walking duration to 45 or 60 minutes per day and walk daily.